Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly... Nursing Tales from a Tired Momma

Little Amelia is slowly, but surely, putting on some chubs. She's still tiny, but I think she's getting chubby little cheeks which can reveal cute little dimples if she smiles. The kid is definitely getting enough noms.

Amelia is also becoming increasingly alert. She is awake for hours every day, with wide, wide eyes. I'm not sure how much information those eyes are sending to her brain, but it certainly looks like she's checking everything out carefully. It also seems like she is particularly interested in faces... and, when it comes to faces, she is particularly interested in eyes. So although I've heard it takes a while for a baby to start looking you in the eye, it certainly seems like Amelia is doing so already. The pediatrician thought so too.

Oh, and the smiles! Amelia is practicing to become a master smiler.* As is typical for a newborn, she smiles most when she's in REM sleep or when she's barely awake. She is, however, beginning to smile more frequently when she's wide awake... and the smiles last longer. Oh, and she smiles more often while eating and when I stroke her face. I'm so excited for when she starts smiling socially.

Now for the bad part... She's been pretty fussy for the last few days... It's like she's always awake. And all she wants to do is suck on something or nurse. Unfortunately, James is not lactating. Darn. I'm pretty durned tiredddd.

The ugly? My poor, poor ladies. While our troubles getting milk from the mom boob to the baby stomach are over, we haven't quite perfected the nursing-without-hurting-mum part. I think part of the problem is that I'm making tons and tons of milk. The lactation consultant said it's pretty normal to be hurting some if I have an abundant milk supply.

The even uglier? Because Amelia has been demanding to be nursed ALL the time for the last few days, my brain thinks I should make even MORE milk... (Nooo! No more prolactin! For Lucy's sake, stoooop!) Which means I am painfully uber full. And I leak very much lots. And sometimes spray. (Pew, pew! Milk lasers!) Ugh. Gross.**

So yeah. Them breasts are hurtin'. If it gets much worse I may start hallucinating a mouthful of shark teeth in little Amelia's mouth. She already attacks the nipples like a predator diving in to enjoy the first scrumptious bite of its prey. Her lunge for the nipple very clearly communicates the MINE and the GIMME DAT concept. I can't help but yell out (almost) every time the kid latches on.

When she gets bored or tired while eating, instead of gently letting go, she clamps down. Hard. (OW, OW, OW!***) So I desperately try to break the vacuum seal by sticking my finger in between her gums, but that's easier said than done. And then once my tenders are finally free (hallelujah!)... Well, Amelia wakes up, blinks around for a bit, and then cries for the nipple again. Ugh.

Wo is me! Anyway, more good news... The lactation consultants are ever full of helpful advice. PLUS they figure things'll get better pretty soon. ... Whenever pretty soon is. Heh.

Love and lactose,
Jenna and Amelia "Pterodactyl" Dilts :)

----
*Now, I know some of you will tell me "It's just gas." Well, I have news for you. Researchers don't think it's gas. MYTH BUSTED. (Yes, we've been watching lots of Mythbusters lately.) Question: do you smile when you have gas? Uh huh. I thought so. Me neither. Instead of smiling, I curl up in the fetal position and moan and rock back and forth. Okay, so if it isn't gas, what is it? It's a neurological reflex. (Maybe it's just because I'm neuroscience junkie, but it seems so much more awesome and personable that the smile is neurological rather than gastrointestinal.) She may not be smiling at you, but she's definitely smiling for the express purpose of smiling--to practice and get really good at it... and, well, let's be honest, it's probably also a survival mechanism. Don't lie. You know your newborn's smile makes you melt inside and want to feed it and keep it safe. Instead of smother it when it screams for the kajillionth time in the night for no discernible reason that you can find. Fun fact: newborns will smile most when drowsy or during REM sleep.

**I still occasionally have moments where, after writing something, I think, "Seriously... Am I scarring for life some poor unsuspecting guys out there?" This was one of those moments. I'm sorry. And also not sorry. You boys should theoretically be getting married and having babies someday anyway. And then you'll get to witness some variation of the drama of pregnancy, labor, delivery, nursing and BEYOND! Aren't you excited?!

***I may have to reconsider my dislike for pacifiers. I didn't want to give her one for several reasons, but there may come a point when I decide enough is enough and get one for her. Besides pacifiers generally being filthy, dirty luxury passenger liners for germs, I figure the infant mouth has a purpose and should be available for that purpose. I want that kid to vocalize whenever she needs to instead of muffledly wailing "MMMMPFFF! URRRRR!" And eventually, I do actually want her to use her mouth to explore... within reason, of course. I'm not going to let her taste pointy knives or tacks or very small swallowable objects (even if they're not sharp!). Ah. There's the neuroscience junkie in me again. Use those neurons or lose 'em, baby.

4 comments:

  1. If she keeps being fussy, I'd ask the doctor if she has reflux. If so, she can get prescribed ranitidine (spelled wrong there, sorry). Jack has really bad reflux, and it was a sad, sad few weeks around here. The medicine made life so much better. Also, if you have a pump, try and pump if you need to be relieved. Though you probably already know that. I remember those first few weeks far too well -- but it does get better, and soon you'll be nursing and not even realize it. You are doing great! Amelia is a lucky baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna, if you have lots and lots of milk, try pumping. If you don't need it yourself, you can donate the extra to a milk sharing site or a milk bank. As a mom who has tried EVERYTHING to get a better milk supply and not succeeded, giving breastmilk to my baby means a lot. And she only gets about 1/3 of her daily food as breast milk

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you plan to donate your milk, though, go get the medical checks they need before you start collecting. I have 50 lbs of milk they won't take because I didnt fill out their forms.

    ReplyDelete