Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Chubby Baby

While I was pregnant, I would have told you I didn't have any real expectations about what Amelia would be like. I mean, I was openminded to having any baby from a wide range of babyness.

It turns out that I did have expectations, actually. I expected her to fit within two (maybe two and a half) standard deviations of the mean... in all parameters.

I think Miss Amelia is exceptional in two regards: her size and her temperament.

Amelia is not exceptionally long... just fat, very fat. Mostly in her cheeks, legs, and arms. Designers of baby clothes did not have Amelia in mind when they were doing their jobs. It seems that most clothes are way too big on my daughter, except in ONE dimension... i.e. a pair of pants is way too long on her, but we can't get the waist of the the pants over her massive thighs and butt; roomy shirts that squeeze Amellia's arms like sausage casing.

And of course Amelia Rose will not tolerate tight clothing.

Sewing skills would have come in handy right about now... if I had any.

The end result is that we go up yet another size and have to roll up sleeves and pant legs. And then her clothes drape over her like a tent on a small hippo.

Amelia will be 20 pounds in a matter of days (if she isn't already) and wears size 4 diapers since the size 3s are beginning to squeeze her thighs a little too tightly. She is 4.5 months old. I am currently collecting clothing in the following sizes: 18 month, 24 month, and 2T. Except for pants... those vary wildly in fit-ability. We have 6-month pants that fit her perfectly. We also have 18-month pants that WILL NOT fit over her chunk-o-thighs.

Love and liquid cheesecake,
Jenna and Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment