Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

25W0D

Theoretically, only 3-3.5 months left of pregnancy! Woo! I am not a huge fan of this pregnancy thing.

As far as nausea and vomiting goes, this week wasn't so bad for the most part, but Friday night took a turn for the worst. James had gone to the ward priesthood campout, so it was also a particularly ill-timed bad turn.

I started vomiting everything--if I took a sip of water, I'd throw up that sip and then some. If I ate two Cheerios, I'd throw those up as well as a cup of vile gastric juices. I kept trying to get down some Zofran, but that was an utter failure. I also tried to eat some Benedryl (it can help nausea with the added bonus of making you sleepy), but that also failed.

By the middle of the night, I hadn't slept a wink and I could feel all my muscles seizing up. Charlie horse here, Charlie horse there. Goodie. So then I was in excruciating pain and I'd try to eat a Tylenol or even a Vicodin, but I threw those up too.

I finally built up the courage to call James at 1 am, but as I feared, he had turned off his phone. I was just hoping that for once he wouldn't do the smart thing and save battery life while hanging out in the middle of nowhere...

This continued all night and all morning. I left a message for James around 7:30am to come home soonish. At this point I suspected part of the reason I felt so bad mentally was because I was all by myself. I decided to have a warm shower to see if that helped with the muscle cramps. I think it did help a bit, but it was also a trade-off since the impact from the water droplets hurt my skin so bad.

Eventually James came home. He was going to go volunteer at a math competition, but instead he was nice and went to get me some Zofran oral-dissolving tablets from the pharmacy as well as some Powerade. Those also made me throw up, and because at this point I was running a fever, we went to the hospital.

They gave me some IV fluids and IV Reglan and IV Benedryl... and before long I was no longer in pain or throwing up or anything. I was really thirsty though. I even fell asleep. All my labs looked good, so their best  guess was that I caught a virus of some sort which exacerbated my nausea.

Then James took me home and I went to sleep. Today I am feeling much better. I basically had nothing to eat or drink yesterday, but today I don't feel so bad. I even was able to eat some Cheerios with milk and a small amount of strawberry-mango smoothie that James made for breakfast. I am still a bit crampy and sore, but I've been doing some prenatal yoga with the help of a super-cheesy Internet video, and I am all-in-all feeling much better, although I am still pretty weak.

If I had to guess about where I caught the virus... probably work. My coworkers had been coming down with some sort of short-lived viral illness too. I know some people at church who had gotten sick as well, but that seemed to be a longer-lived virus. We'll see.

This week James and I are flying to Pennsylvania for Katie's (James' sister) wedding! I think it's a little funny that she is marrying a Griffin, so I kind of feel like she and I are trading last names. Because we are. :) I'm excited to go see people, but at the same time I'm a little nervous about getting sick during the trip.

Maybe I should look into getting some sick bags, but they're surprisingly hard to find! I should have raided the hospital when I was there yesterday, but alas, such thoughts did not occur to me. I have grocery bags and brown paper bags, but the plastic bags tear and the paper bags leak. Maybe I can go googly-eyed at the flight attendants and they'll supply me with a nice stash. Eh?

Anyway, I'm going to get back to my cheesy prenatal yoga video. The music is perfect for the cheesiest video ever, and the lady leading the yoga keeps saying things like, "Now, hands over your heart, and send all the love from your heart down to your baby..." Okay, lady, if you say so.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds like an AWESOME video. I will have to do that some day when I am preggo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you let the flight attendant know you're having serious "morning sickness" (and be sure to tell her once you and everyone around you are at their seats), she, and everyone around you, will be more than happy to give you extra barf bags :)

    ReplyDelete