Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

26W2D; Wedding Trip to PA

James and I went to visit his family in Enola, Pennsylvania last weekend for the wedding of Katie Dilts and Peter Griffin. It was mostly fun, except when it wasn't (when I was not feeling well).

Thursday
You'll be glad to find out that I didn't throw up again after the first flight, though I did continue to madly collect sick bags everywhere I went. We showed up at the Harrisburg airport later on Thursday afternoon where we were picked up by Dad Dilts. They got lots of pizza when we got there. I successfully ate and retained half a pizza.

I don't remember much else that evening except that I was only semi-conscious and hanging out either on the sofa in the living room (where nieces and nephews were playing) or on a mattress down in the basement. I didn't actually fall asleep though until later when James came to sleep for the night too.

Friday
Friday was the day of the wedding! First things first--we somehow had to translocate twenty-some-odd Diltsen to the Washington D.C. temple/ visitor's center which was inconveniently located two hours away. James and I rode with Ethan, Micah, and little James. Although we left earlier than the rest of the family, we got lost almost immediately due to some misleading directions from Google Maps. (... I thought Google was omniscient! How could the Almighty Google midlead us? It probably didn't help that James, our assigned Reader of the Directions was completely distracted and watching Megamind instead of paying attention to where we were.) We ended up having to follow Clifford the Big Red Van the whole way.

As we approached the temple grounds, Ethan ended up having to cut off some chick in a white car several times in an effort to stay behind the Dilts van. We observed that this chick was attractive, and we felt a little bad for the multiple cut-offs. I'm not sure if it was Ethan's idea or not, but he eventually agreed to apologize and get her number if she just happened to also be going to the temple. This was before she started following us templeward. To Ethan's relief (and to the disappointment of the rest of us) she went off in some other direction just before we got there. Oh well.

After the sealing, we had a little photo shoot outside in the hot, hot sun. I don't actually remember if it was sunny or overcast, but I do remember starting to feel overheated and nauseous before too long. I did not die and I was eventually able to eat a sammich and a yogurt in the shade of the visitor's center. 

(I almost typed "an ogurt". James will affirm that this is how I usually refer to yogurt. Strawberries are stobbies. Bananas are nanners. Strawberry banana yogurt is stobby nanner ogurt, which is what I had. It was tasty. Perhaps I should be mildly concerned about Pterodactyl being completely unintelligible after learning how to speak from me.)

The ride back was also an adventure which started out in roughly the same manner: roughly. We took a few wrong turns and had several "I have no idea which way is home. Let's try going right!" experiences. It's impressive, then, that we eventually got on the right track. We eventually tried to watch "Fiddler on the Roof" since I've never seen it before, but before too long (I think it was after "If I Were a Rich Man") I was too sick to perform the strenuous task of watching a movie in the back of a car. This is about the time where we stopped for Slurpees and to give little James an opportunity to pee in a bathroom instead of in a booster seat.

Besides being tasty, the Slurpee had the magical effect of decreasing my body temperature and therefore relieving me somewhat from the nausea and the potentially disastrous potential vomit. It did have the unintended side effect of causing little James to stare and glare at me as I very rudely did not share the Slurpee with him. Even more rudely, I let big James have a few sips. I'm such a mean Aunt Jenna.

We made it home, where I commandeered Katie's secluded twin bed to sleep in. After all, given her newly married status (as well as her lack of presence in the Dilts home), what need had she of a twin bed? I think I woke up. Eventually. It's all so fuzzy. I don't remember how much time I spent sleeping or when.

There was a sweet, fun little reception. It was perfect. It was also prettier than mine, but I'm pretty sure there was more money spent getting this one into motion than mine. (I reminisced about my own wedding some while I was there.) Where James and I had lots of Little Caesar's pizza, Katie and Peter had croissant sandwiches and spinach/cheese triangles and various other finger foods. They had an actual wedding cake with actual fondant, meaning they actually had a cake to cut, whereas James and I took a ginormicous knife to a poor, helpless cupcake. Katie also had actual flowers. I had fake ones, largely because the stress of needing to get several live organisms looking healthy and amazing on one particular day seemed just a bit too much to ask a bride singlehandedly (besides James) planning a reception whilst simultaneously endeavoring to graduate with a degree in neuroscience.

Anyway, I was able to eat some food, although I unfortunately found a lot of it unpalatable. Thankfully, I was able to down some croissant (but not the cheese or meat) as well as some carrots. James and I even danced a bit. I kept hoping for a foxtrot, but most of Katie's dance music was more cha-cha appropriate and otherwise upbeat. I didn't dance much. My poor ginormicously bloated feet were not agreeable to many fancy moves. 

(May I make an aside here about the amazingness of maternity support tights? I had the foresight to use some on both trips to and from Oregon and my ankles--get this--remained their normal size for the entirety of both journeys. I neglected to wear them for the drives to and from D.C., so I did not enjoy this benefit that day.)

At some point, James and I carted over to the Shurtz home for a comfier queen bed (much comfier for two married creatures than the twin we had slept in on the night previous). We were met with a room a little too warm and stuffy for my needs (which triggered some nausea), so we got out a fan to get the air moving around. It helped.

Saturday
James and I headed back over to the Dilts home base on Saturday. Steffanie had some sort of surprise, but I wasn't doing too well. I went and commandeered Katie's twin bed again. James therefore got to ignore me and spent much of the day playing with his best friend John, so this wasn't altogether a tragedy.

Steffanie's surprise turned out to be Christmas in May. Cool. There were presents and the traditional Dilts-Christmas-kabobs. We even got to play Christmas piano quartets. 'Twas awesome. I ate some of Liliana's tasty green-colored soup which 'twas also awesome. I think I tinkered around on a piano a bit, hung out with actual people a little, and then James and I left for the night again... when we discovered that James was missing his suit coat and tie.

Oh noes! The suit coat and tie were discovered only after we had flown away but I'm grateful they got lost anyway. I'm afraid I may have forgotten my driver's license if people hadn't been looking for the suit coat. I will take a misplaced-item mishap in place of a travel travesty any day.

Sunday
We made it home safely, but only after 19 hours of travel. Yuk.

Monday
Slept lots.

Tuesday
I am at work today, but I'm barely hanging in there. I might go home.

Anyway, ta-ta for now,
Jenna and Pterodactyl

No comments:

Post a Comment