Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I Like My Body

I like Herodotus. I started reading The Histories a few days ago and I find it pretty entertaining. I know it's the first history book ever, but it honestly seems a little like ancient Greek gossip. Plus I'm pretty sure Herodotus has a bowl fetish.

Tomorrow I am excited to go to physical therapy... times two! Woohoo! I am continuing physical therapy for my back pain and starting physical therapy on my pelvic floor muscles. I am starting the latter for a personal problem... And to be honest, I'd tell you all about it but you'll probably think "Whoa, baby. TMI!" As a little hint, pelvic floor physical therapy is helpful for things like urinary incontinence, fecal incontinence, pelvic pain, and dyspareunia. You know. Private stuff. (Actually, it's kind of fun to keep my readers in suspence! Heehee!) And let's face it, you'd be excited to get rid of those problems too! Woohoo!!!!!!!! Exclamation point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Along a similar vein, last night I was kind of upset (again) because my healthcare has gotten so complicated even though I'm only 22 years old. And it's stressful. In fact, too stressful. So with this in mind, lots of people have been wondering when James and I will be having kids. ... ... I am way too stressed to add pregnancy to the list of stuff going on inside my body. It's probably not a good idea while my treatment plans are in flux right now anyway... especially the thyroid thing. Sigh. Oh, thyroid.

Science time!



I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Basically, here's the dealio. My body is making antithyroid peroxidase antibodies. (Thyroid peroxidase is a thyroid enzyme.) This means that my thyroid is being attacked by my own immune system. So, while there's a ton of the antibody in my system, the antibody gnaws at my thyroid and thus my thyroid doesn't do its job as well. So I go hypothyroid, which means every cell in my body isn't getting the thyroid hormone. So I start feeling sluggish, slow, cold, constipated, gaining weight, etc. Also bad for babies.

Here's where it gets complicated. Sometimes the antibodies eat into a hidden cache of thyroid hormone and release into my body... Now I'm getting way too much thyroid hormone. Bam! Now I feel wired. Anxious. Lots of hot flashes and night sweats. Diarrhea! Heart palpitations! Not so good for developing fetuses.

So here I was a few days ago ranting about being hypothyroid. And then all of a sudden I'm hyperthyroid. If that isn't frustrating, I don't know what is. My labs tests confirmed hyperthyroidism as well as an astonishing antibody level of 1240 U/mL (normal is 60 U/mL). I've decided to have Dr. Austin manage my thyroid care (he's the doctor I work with). I trust him and I know he actually knows about Hashimoto's rather than just your run of the mill hypothyroidism.

Anyway, I hate to be bitter about medicine in general, because really I find the whole field interesting and fun! Human bodies are so cool! And let's be honest. My body is largely functioning well, and I sleep like a baby every night. I can even go to work as much as I need to. And I'm pretty darn good looking. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment