Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

I Like Precision and Exactness

I rarely comment on things on Facebook, but often I am almost driven to when I see a glaringly and obviously false statement. And then it drives me insane when people dispute what I say and immediately dismiss it, when I'm pretty sure I'm right. Topics this week that have driven me insane include the false belief that doctors are often and regularly bribed by drug companies, and the regulation (or lack thereof) of alternative medicine.

I suppose seeing glaringly obvious faults in logic shouldn't drive me so insane when other people's ignorance doesn't really affect me. And I suppose that I'm wrong at times. ... Only I'm not wrong very often, and I feel that when presented with compelling evidence, I let go of my previous assumptions and embrace the truth. Maybe what actually bothers me is the widespread resistance to truth. It seems that for many, the more evidence is presented against their viewpoint, the more stubborn and angry they get. Sigh.



So I'm left wondering if it's better for me to just completely ignore blatantly obvious falsehoods, because it doesn't seem to do anything good. Firstly, it aggravates me and keeps me up at night knowing how many dumb people there are convincing other people that falsehoods are true. Secondly, my arguments seem to make people believe their false assumptions even more, no matter how logical, cool, and complete my evidence is. Maybe Calvin is right... knowledge is paralyzing in some ways. I'm not sure speaking up is ever worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Wait, did you see my post on homeopathy? I swear, nothing makes me more upset than taking advantage of uneducated sick people, because you want their money.

    ReplyDelete